How to Plan Your Gift
Gift planning is the process of carefully selecting the best method and asset for making a gift to Michigan Tech. A planned gift enables you to assist the University in its mission of preparing students to create the future, while also reducing the tax burden of your income, capital gains, and/or estate.
How Do I Get Started?
Selecting the best gift plan depends on your personal financial situation, your assets, and your financial goals. Our GiftLegacy website, which is updated on a weekly basis, is designed to assist you with gift planning—the information below will help you get started.
Changing property values, investment values, and life stages require planning for the future - and changing tax laws require up-to-date information. Visit the Michigan Tech GiftLegacy website for up-to-date planning information, including:
- Personal Planner - Read weekly articles to help you plan your estate. Learn about the variety of estate planning options that can benefit both you and Michigan Tech.
- Donor Stories - Read stories of donors who received tax benefits by making charitable gifts. Learn how a gift to Michigan Tech can provide you with more income, a tax deduction, and a lasting legacy.
- Create Your Own Plan - View a web presentation that shows the income and tax benefits of a gift plan using your assets. Compare the benefits of setting up a gift annuity, unitrust, or part gift and part sale.
- News - Read weekly articles to help you plan your estate. Learn about the variety of estate planning options that can benefit both you and Michigan Tech.
- Finance News - Learn about the impact of the market on your finances. Get the latest news on stocks, bonds, and interest rates. View current market quotes for DOW, NASDAQ, and S&P 500.
- Monthly eNewsletter - Sign up to receive our monthly GiftLegacy eNewsletter.
- Decide your goals. Explore nine common goals for donors and our suggested giving options for accomplishing them.
- Explore giving options. The Michigan Tech Fund offers a wide range of giving options to allow you to take maximum advantage of federal tax laws to accomplish your financial and charitable goals.
- Leverage your gift. We offer ideas for increasing the impact of certain gifts, including endowed funds and appreciated securities.
- Contact us. We will be happy to work with you and your professional advisors to develop a gift plan that leads to deep rewards for you and for future generations of Michigan Tech students and faculty.
- Read our Foresight Newsletter. Donor support makes a huge impact on Michigan Tech's students, faculty, and programs. See our semiannual newsletter for donor stories, articles on charitable and estate planning, and more.